MB551 Class Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

+18
anorton120878
smoore15jcu
jkoslo
lpeale15
RoRaleigh
jwatrobski15
tbowen14
alexdelisi
ndomonkos15
sjavali
colintrimble
JesseGardocki
joserivera
Kyra.Pritchard
DrewSpada
erikgorman
Sarah Peshek
mark.pelsozy
22 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty Daily Blog Update - How we Should use our Blogs

Post  mark.pelsozy Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm

I got some more detail out of Scott regarding our blogs. The new ethics terms are to be thrown into the current pool of leadership terms, and we can write blogs using both old and new terms.

Scott suggested that we focus our blogging efforts on Blackboard around outlining and organizing this project. In other words, we should try to use our blogs as a kind of extension of this discussion board to brainstorm ideas and work out problems.

mark.pelsozy
Admin

https://mb551.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty Re: Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

Post  Sarah Peshek Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:05 pm

We don't have any new blog set up on Blackboard...should we use the existing leadership one to do the daily blogs?

Sarah Peshek

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty Re: Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

Post  Sarah Peshek Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:15 pm

All -

FYI, I clarified with Scott about where/what to blog on. This is his response:

"I think all terms are fair game. I would use the blogs strategically, and to the best purpose given your task. I am not partial to how you complete them, just create a system that I will know they were completed in the end. Make sense?"

Based on his response, I gave him a link to our forum (the syllabus said to keep him in the loop). I think we should blog here in this stream. I'll start mine here later tonight.

Sarah Peshek

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty blog kickoff

Post  erikgorman Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 pm

I want to start out by commending all of the INTIATIVE shown by everybody so far. There is no doubt a lot of information to soak in and process in what seems to be a short amount of time. We are experiencing some WORK OVERLOAD and LACK OF CONTROL. It is important to keep our cool and not get flustered and overwhelmed. We are all capable of putting in the EFFORT and that should give us OPTIMISM as we work through making sense of the mess. I wasn't able to jump on and look though everything until tonight so kudos to those of you who were able to jump in and try to get things pointed in the right driection. I think we need to fill out the MBTI column on our cohort sheet so that we can make our groups accordingly. As far as this weekend is concerned, I have very limited availability but I would say whatever works for the masses we should roll with in order to get things moving.

erikgorman

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty Blogs part 2

Post  DrewSpada Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 pm

I wanted to really focus on the problem solving model. I think we are doing a good job so far of DETERMINING ROLES, I really like the idea of focusing our MBTIs and experience in order to come up with our sub teams. Once we settle how the groups should be split, we need to really work to DEFINE THE PROBLEM. The list is extensive, and looking at it causes some UNPLEASANT EXPECTATIONS for the WORK OVERLOAD we might experience. But it appears that we have a lot of INITIATIVE in the group which gives me OPTIMISM.

I sent Scott a question about the blogs as well. I wanted to know if we had to blog every day or just the weekdays like in the last class. The list says each day...which like most other instructions is vague. Wouldn’t want us to get caught with CONSTANCY or COMPLACENCY when a big part of the grade is on the line.

DrewSpada

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty first 551 blog

Post  Kyra.Pritchard Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Right now, it is apparent that we are all feeling WORK OVERLOAD in the tasks that have been placed in front of us. There is a lot of supportive communication going on, and everyone is being DESCRIPTIVE, VALIDATING and LISTENING right now which is great. The INITIATIVE that has been taken by NON-POSITIONAL LEADERS is commendable, and we have been able to set BASELINE EXPECTATIONS for how we are going to approach this class. Employing PROACTIVE STRATEGIES of planning in detail now will only lessen ANTICIPATORY STRESS and TIME STRESS later in the course. Let's continue to work together to make progress on this complex project.

Kyra.Pritchard

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty Blog1 - Rivera

Post  joserivera Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Hey team,

I am glad to see that we are working to get an early start of on the project. I am willing to take initiative and volunteer to lead one of the small 3-4 member groups. I have many commitments outside of class, as do many of us, so I am limited by my weekend commitments. (Skype and facetime are great alternatives.) I am willing to meet after work hours most weekdays and I recommend that we create our teams not only based on our MBTI profiles and skills sets, but also on geographic location in the greater Cleveland area to facilitate more face to face meetings. I live in Concord TWP near mentor (44077) I think there are at least three people in the class that live near Mentor.

We are showing a lot of teamwork already and it seems like we are starting to use collaborative leadership, but I will honestly say that I after reading the emails and blogs, I still think we need to adhere to the fundamentals of the 5D's and, define roles, and determine the overall group staff structure. We should define very specific processes for reporting since I truly think that our success will be directly tied to our ability to track progress and hold each other to task.

Since we are trying to group based on MBTI my type is ENTJ.

I discussed with Scott Moore that I would be willing to help with the development of a tracking chart. Also, I will start the ball rolling on contacting the Military Officers for interviews. I also know a retired TV/news personality if the group would like me to start working on that interview as well.

Good luck team. I am a good Soldier and take orders well, so please don't hesitate to delegate some tasks to me as needed, I will get them done.

Jose

joserivera

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty 1st Blog

Post  JesseGardocki Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Am I the only one with mostly Spanish language for options/menus on this website?

I also want to mention that I appreciate the initiative and effortof this class on coming together to piece the syllabus/class together. I feel we have already overcame conceptual blocks that we had at the end of last class. I want apologize I couldn't be more involved in the threads today, but due to work overload at work it was difficult to get online, but it looks like it's under control. I have seen some really good ideas, but having trouble following which ones we are going with. I was thinking of the same thing of having the tasks broken up into categories so they become more manageable. I feel we still need to define roles and having actions assigned to each individual based on their role. I am not available either this weekend due to being out of town, but I will support the popular vote if one happens.

JesseGardocki

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty First Blog

Post  colintrimble Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:03 pm

I've had some situational stress over the past few days. I've had exams the past two nights, so I've had unpleasant expectations about the amount of sleep I'll be getting this week. I really need to catch up on the new MB 551 stuff so that I can show some citizenship and help define the problem. So far, we've done a great job of determining roles and determining alternatives.

Several people showed non-positional leadership after class by taking initiative to get the process started on our MB 551 work. I was thankful that we had people willing to make the effort to contact Professor Allen and get clearer instructions. Despite my fear of work overload, I am optimistic that we will work well together as a class and in smaller groups to achieve our goals. (12)

colintrimble

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty FIrst Impressions of our Ethics Project

Post  mark.pelsozy Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 pm

After taking a few hours to allow the work overload to subside and getting on the balcony to observe the reactions of my classmates during this first day of 551, I am beginning to feel optimistic about our chances of putting together a solid final product. As a group we have a base of skills, knowledge, and experience sufficient to get ourselves on the right track. It is inspiring to realize how much we have at our fingertips; all we need to do is take initiative with those in our network both in and outside of JCU. And really, after you take away the tasks about blogs and the repeated tasks, we only have about 45 tasks to accomplish. Wow, when you say it like that, it sounds like nothing, doesn't it??

mark.pelsozy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mark.pelsozy Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:10 pm

[quote="JesseGardocki"]Am I the only one with mostly Spanish language for options/menus on this website?

I don't have Spanish, but a few of my icons are in French. Not sure why....

mark.pelsozy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty What to do, what to do...

Post  Sarah Peshek Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:11 pm

There is no doubt we are experiencing WORK OVERLOAD with this ethics class. It was really an UNPLEASANT EXPECTATION to finish the leadership final to then be given this monstrous project to complete in less than a month. The forum/blogs also pose some UNFAVORABLE WORKING CONDITIONS as we experience delays in responses from teammates rather than instant feedback in class. We most likely need to be FLEXIBLE and meet as an entire class or smaller teams outside of class to accomplish our goal. I also suggest we take 20 minutes if we meet this weekend or on Tuesday to walk through the DECISION MAKING PROCESS: solidify ROLES, DEFINE THE PROBLEM(S), DETERMINE ALTERNATIVE SOLUTIONS...you know. This shouldn't be a complete rehash of what we discussed last night or today...some may be repetitive, but some other steps have not be covered in depth.

Sarah Peshek

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Peshek Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:12 pm

[quote="mark.pelsozy"]
JesseGardocki wrote:Am I the only one with mostly Spanish language for options/menus on this website?

My icons are in French...it's like getting an ethics class and Muzzy all at the same time!

Sarah Peshek

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty MB552- Close of the class

Post  sjavali Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:15 pm

While Todd spoke to the class yesterday it was apparent about his position as a leader, the process he uses to work with his team, how he enables/develops others and how he inspires his team towards a shared vision. One thing that stuck me was when we started this class I had a compressed view of why we needed to memorrize 138 terms but while Todd spoke yesterday one could see that he uses these terms in his day to day work life. Having a conceptual block towards Dr.Allen's methodology did create some issue conflicts early on for me. However post yesterday I see how his coaching methods have made sense to this whole process. This has made me optimistic for the next class though we might have some situational stress involved(10).

sjavali

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty First Blog MB551

Post  ndomonkos15 Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:54 pm

As most, I think we definitely have our work cut out for us as we race against the clock. Many of us are already dealing with work overload and now we are adding more along with the rapid change as we enter into a foreign class format. I believe it is imperative that we collaborate through teamwork in order to accomplish the large amount of tasks put before us so we do not find ourselves in a position where we have a lack of control. Furthermore, we have to maintain baseline expectations for the 5 D’s not only as a class but more importantly in the smaller groups.

I definitely agree with Jose’s improvement on the sub-groups by throwing out the idea of incorporating geographical location as well so we will be able to incubate as a team. Also, I take the follower’s responsibility very seriously and am look forward to building relationships throughout this course.

My MBTI is an ESTP and my geographical location is live in Sagamore Hills.

ndomonkos15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty First Post

Post  alexdelisi Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:09 am

Good Work Everyone!!!

Thank Mark for taking the initative to set this web page up. My apoligies for not posting earlier it has been a busy day. I feel this is a huge task and agree with many of you that dividing up into teams would probably be the best approach. I have emailed a few people I know from the media who might be able to help us with a few of our questions. I think that next class we need to come propared and ready to tackle this assignment. It will be intresting becasue we have to use leadership concepts while we learn about ethics. Its cool how he relates the two classes. Im not sure what terms we are supposed to learn so if someone could help me with that I would appriciate it.

Alex

alexdelisi

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty First Ethics Blog

Post  tbowen14 Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:59 am

I have been trying to engage in the follower's responsibility as well as take initiative from my perspective of a non-positional leader. I want to demonstrate my citizenship to the class and communtarianism. Yet, I wonder if we have truly begun to examine Nash's 12 questions. At this early stage in the game it is important to accurately define the problem and understand what is expected of us by considering the problem from Scott's perspective as well.

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty Sometimes leadership feels like another language.

Post  tbowen14 Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:02 am

[quote="Sarah Peshek"]
mark.pelsozy wrote:
JesseGardocki wrote:Am I the only one with mostly Spanish language for options/menus on this website?

My icons are in French...it's like getting an ethics class and Muzzy all at the same time!

Sarah, funny...but true. Way to be optimistic.

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty Observation Une

Post  jwatrobski15 Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:11 am

1. I also have icons in french.
2. I can be available anytime Saturday and Sunday afternoon and evening.
3. I am an ESTP that lives in Cleveland.

Observation:
We've been told on several occasions that we would be put in situations that make us uncomfortable and this class certainly presents a challenging situation for all of us. As long as we work collaboratively and understand the purpose of the class and the process to achieve a high quality product, we wil earn those A's we all want. We've all displayed positive emotional intelligence including optimism, initiative, flexibility, achievement and teamwork. It's getting quite easy to get on the balcony and witness all these concepts in action, specifically with the class as we are all deliberately practicing the concepts.

jwatrobski15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty MB 551 Blogs Ron R

Post  RoRaleigh Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:26 am

Needless to say the past day has had significant stresses. We all are starting to feel the time stressors like work overload and likely some anticipatory stressors like possible unpleasant expectations and fear of not completing the tasks. I know that I have already shown some agression as a reactions when I snapped at my wife tonight. I came home did a little bit of work and started in on a reactive coping mechanism, some video game time. I like to think that people have shown some significant initiative in begining to organize the tasks in only the day that we got the list, and there is definitely teamwork in trying to come up with possible interview targets. Now I only hope that we can collaborate effectively to reach the achievement of a good final product.

RoRaleigh

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty And we're off!!!

Post  lpeale15 Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:41 am

Most of us appeared to have experienced work overload at the onset; consequently, many have demonstrated initiative and citizenship in order to get the ball rolling rapidly in the interim of us selecting leaders and specifically assigning tasks. I found that the description of case-in-point learning being added to the syllabus—which included initial stressors and suggestions for coping with them—was an excellent proactive strategy as well as a demonstration of emotional intelligence of the average cohort as they approach this challenging project. That being said, I sincerely believe that I am amongst a great group of peers and do not doubt that we will pull together and knock this out of the park when all is said and done.

lpeale15

Back to top Go down

Post  lpeale15 Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 am

Sarah Peshek wrote:All -

FYI, I clarified with Scott about where/what to blog on. This is his response:

"I think all terms are fair game. I would use the blogs strategically, and to the best purpose given your task. I am not partial to how you complete them, just create a system that I will know they were completed in the end. Make sense?"

Based on his response, I gave him a link to our forum (the syllabus said to keep him in the loop). I think we should blog here in this stream. I'll start mine here later tonight.

========
Hey Mark, since we are blogging here for now w/Scott having access, would it be possible to change the title of this stream to "Daily Blog [Please Enter All Blog Posts Here]", or the like, so that all know to put their entries here and not create new/separate posts...as a few have...?
-LP

lpeale15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty First Blog

Post  jkoslo Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Our class is filled with individuals that are demonstrating significant initiative and I would like to commend those that have put forth a great deal of effort so far. We need to consolidate our communications, follow the 5-D's to approach and solve the problem. We need to quickly identify roles, including leader(s), to help organize and provide direction on the class. Although the requirements for this class seem long and not 1 person can do it alone, I am confident that we will pull together and demonstrate teamwork to complete our tasks.

At the end of the day, we need to keep in mind that this is a 1 credit class. We all have jobs, families, and personal lives that we need to balance along with school.

jkoslo

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty Subgroup Development

Post  mark.pelsozy Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Much of our time is being spent fixating on the criteria for forming our subgroups. I am now of the opinion that while it is important to determine our roles based upon our personality traits, geographic location, etc, we do have to remember the lack of control of our available time in this course. Perhaps we should develop initial rosters first, then give some consideration to our own defaults in light of our initial assignment. If we have personal concerns about the team or topic which we are assigned to, then we can employ skillful interventions to be re-assigned to areas where we feel we be of better service to the group.

(I am trying to use this part of the project as an opportunity to practice being more perceiving rather than judging)

mark.pelsozy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  Empty My First Blog

Post  smoore15jcu Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Well, the unpleasant expectations are starting to kick in. I know that are we all facing it, and most agree on the informational deficiencies regarding where and how we are communicating. I have certainly contributed to that myself by reading some blogs only after I sent some authoritative (some could say borderline coercive) emails regarding how to divide up into groups. I’ve tried to run some experiments in the process of establishing groups and sub-groups, and now I believe I need to hear and see the congruent feedback regarding the process and whether a change agent is needed. ( 8 )

smoore15jcu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next