Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Who will our students be now and in the future?

Post  tbowen14 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:12 pm

I have had several interviews now with various members of the “client” committee. From my understanding, the committee is really looking for a way to instill courageous fellowship in their students. They want the students to leave the school with the courage to assume responsibility, the courage to serve, the courage to challenge, the courage to participate in transformation, and the courage to leave. The committee is also looking to instill, according to Catholic teachings and Jesuit traditions, a sense of servant leadership. (7)

tbowen14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Interview with Major General Hahn

Post  joserivera on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Today I had a follow-up discussion with MG Hahn, an Army general, and a fellow West Pointer and sat on a John Carroll ROTC Leadership panel this week. Our discussion was about the fundamental methods to inculcate a culture of ethical behavior in organizations. We discussed the tenants of Jesuit philosophy as it compared to the development of values in the Army. The Army values are Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage (LDRSHIP). He reaffirmed our conclusion that we need to look into a simple relevant message to replace the long and complex statement of values. He referenced John C. maxwell's book, There's No Such Thing As "Business" Ethics: There's Only One Rule For Making Decisions. The major theme of the book is that there is no need for complex frameworks to promote a culture of ethics and asserts that the "golden rule" is the only concept that you need to promote ethical practices. MG Hahn gave me different examples of the application of this simple concept from his career in the military. I think that this might be a very simple way that fits directly within the scope of what we are trying to accomplish. It is just so obvious, and well know, that its simple, practical effectiveness makes this assertion universally relatable.

joserivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

interview with mom

Post  erikgorman on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 pm

After discussing what my mom has seen in her career I will leave her company anonymous. My mom didn't paint her company in the best ethical light. She stated a sever lack of MORAL SENSITIVITY on a couple different issues. With this being the first step the author lays out for ethical decision making, the following steps are also lacking. Withou the recognition factor, it is nearly impossible for people to exercise MORAL JUDGEMENT and make a good decision on what to do about moral/ethical issues. Since the culture of the company is to mind your own business and keep your head down, MORAL MOTIVATION is also lacking. Employees are not motivated to do the right thing because that type of action is not encouraged - and often punished. With such a narrow-minded and self-serving culture MORAL CHARACTER may be present in individuals, but not the department/company as a whole. Needless to say, I'm hoping mom finds a new employer in the near future.

erikgorman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

Post  ndomonkos15 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:15 am

While I know the client has given us what they are looking for and what seems to be more importantly what they are not looking for in our presentation. Nonetheless I feel that we need to maintain courageous fellowship and not rule out offering something that they are not looking to change. Ultimately it seems the client is looking for transformational leadership. In order to achieve this it may be necessary to have the courage to challenge when it comes to certain items. For instance, after speaking with the author of our text Dr. Craig Johnson, we discussed the climate building tools of core values, code of ethics and ethical learning. He first stressed the importance of creating accountability through a code of ethics. As we all know this is something that has been done with the last cohort. Then we discussed the importance of core values and he mentioned that core values need to be no more than 3 to 5 simple items and that if you can not remember what they are, what good are they? I feel that if we present this advice we will embrace the courage to participate in transformation and take the current set of core values and simplify them to ingrain the culture that is trying to be achieved. However our job is not done there, I feel as I think most do, after we take a pacesetting approach we must move on to a coaching approach because the values have to come alive. There was a lot of good ideas right along with ideas that Dr. Johnson and I discussed deeply rooted in ethical learning. The bottom line is that this mus be an ongoing experiment but as they saying goes a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Changing a culture is a long journey but I believe that a good first step to elevate the purpose can be a simple set of core values.

ndomonkos15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Know see plan do

Post  Kyra.Pritchard on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:49 am

After having some very SPECIFIC, DESCRIPTIVE, and PROBLEM ORIENTED discussions with my subgroup tonight, we have created an action plan to move forward with the PROCESS of getting to the end PRODUCT. After our conversations with Scott last evening, we KNOW and SEE that part of the issue is from the top-down. We are PLANNING to have a survey distributed to the school of business professors. The SITUATION ANALYSIS has been strong and we will move forward in order to succeed as a cohort.

Kyra.Pritchard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

moral action is hard to come by

Post  anorton120878 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:56 pm

The majority of middle managers at our plant don't generally exhibit the traits of authentic leadership. Most have authentic awareness, but the silo mentality often gets in the way of unbiased processing. Many of the actions of plant management are based on reward and punishment rather than authentic belief. While moral sensitivity is there, moral judgement and motivation are often lacking.

anorton120878

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crucial Conversations

Post  Sarah Peshek on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm taking a training class at my company about crucial conversations. This class is focusing on one aspect of TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERSHIP and using effective communication to decrease INCOMPETENT, RIGID and INTEMPERATE behaviors. This class will also help us take a RELATIONAL ORIENTATION through these effective conversations.

Sarah Peshek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on our focus-group research

Post  jnedley on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Yesterday I met with five student leaders to collect their reactions to the results of our survey, to gather some feedback on some of the potential recommendations we discussed in class on Tuesday, and to collect any recommendations they wanted to offer. I admired their courage to assume responsibility for the ethical climate suggested by our results, which showed, among other things, that nearly 80 percent of respondents have witnessed unethical behavior or academic dishonesty and that nearly half admitted to committing such an act. However, they refused to acknowledge these results as an absolute representation of the moral character of the JCU student body. Rather, they believed that the situation definitions of "unethical behavior" and "academic dishonesty" are matters of perspective. While everyone may be rigid on certain standards (copying answers from another student during an exam, for example), in some cases what may be unethical to one student (sharing homework with a classmate, for example) may be perfectly acceptable to another. They didn't go so far as to identify a scapegoat, either, but did have very strong opinions about the First-Year Seminar, also, suggesting that it fails to nurture followers. They were receptive to our potential recommendation that JCU's core values be condensed into a slogan or motto, particularly if they were parties to a partnership in the process. Finally, they demonstrated the courage to participate in transformation, also, by arguing that our class should recommend that the First-Year Seminar be retooled to reinforce knowledge of JCU's core values.

jnedley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lies

Post  colintrimble on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm doing several investigations at work that happen to involve business owners who lie to me about several things. One in particular tells me that some employees with whom I request interviews do not exist...as if they have never worked for him. This is clearly an unethical act. Another blames his failure to pay minimum wage or overtime, or any wages at all in some cases, on the employees' supposed failure to pick up their paychecks. He is obviously trying to identify scapegoats. Some of these employers encourage their subordinates to plead ignorance or lie to me in interviews...it's an example of promoting incompetence. Some of these business owners have no motivation to act ethically. Their poor stewardship of their companies could have bad consequences in these investigations. (5)

colintrimble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ndomonkos15 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Sometimes the courage to serve is definitely unglamorous especially when attempting to land CEO interviews of Fortune 500 companies. It is quite disconfirming when trying to break through the gatekeepers. Fortunately the fear of not getting these interviews completed is what compels me to press on and I am optimistic that we will get these interviews completed before it is all said and done. Judging from who I have talked to thus far, in general it seems that many of the CEO's take the obligation quite seriously to display citizenship in order to benefit education. Unfortunately, lack of control regarding their schedules matching our course schedule and due to their obligations of the company seems to be the underlying problem. Nonetheless we will get there!

ndomonkos15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Focus on the Presentation

Post  DrewSpada on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 pm

It's time for us to put together a killer presentation to MODEL THE WAY of ethics at JCU. Our group leader Jason met with a group of undergraduate student leaders who can help us INSPIRE and INFLUENCE their peers with our ideas. They did like the slogan being present at multiple locations around campus, but did not want to engage in projects that caused more work. They did admit that the university could do a better job SETTING BASELINE EXPECTATIONS about ethics, and that the undergrad population has to face up to some ethical challenges. It seems like we will have to provide some INSPIRATIONAL MOTIVATION to get the undergrad population to share the FOLLOWER'S RESPONSIBILITY.

DrewSpada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

presentation time

Post  Kyra.Pritchard on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 pm

I believe that we are all showing great COURAGE TO PARTICIPATE IN TRANSFORMATION in regards to changing the culture of ethics in the Boler school. Clearly, we are all showing NON-POSITIONAL LEADERSHIP in efforts to INFLUENCE the core committee to make changes and MODEL THE WAY for the change in behavior. As our recommendations come together for the presentation, we are removing CONCEPTUAL BLOCKS and taking INITIATIVE to make the presentation come together.

Kyra.Pritchard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Continuously Changing Definition of Ethics - My Father's Perspective

Post  tbowen14 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:59 pm

I met with my father this evening to discuss his view and understanding of ethics as well as ethical culture. As the owner of a local architectural firm that has been in business for over 50 years and is registered in all 48 continuous states as well as Hawaii, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, Great Britain, and Australia. Further he serves on several boards including Cleveland State University’s Board of Trustees. He has also received many noteworthy awards including the “2010 Citizen Architect” award given to him by the American Institute of Architects for his dedication to the growth and economic development of Cleveland. All of this information serves as evidence for his vast amount of knowledge, experiences, and effort as an established leader in the community. Although he is no longer an avidly religious man, he spoke of his strong beliefs, morals, and ethical character. He credited the lack of moral and ethical education as part of the reason behind the incompetent, callous, corrupt, and evil leaders of today. He also credited the lack of academic education as another reason behind the bad leaders of the upcoming generation. Yet, he noted that he has observed acts of unethical leadership all throughout his life, in the government, in his company, and in daily life in general. When asked if the definition of ethical behavior has changed over time, he noted that the definition of ethics is forever changing throughout time and that there is always a need for ethical pluralism. Unethical behavior itself has not necessarily changed. He recalled stories of the past when men used to make private unethical deals and trades, without any regard to others. People vaguely knew of these deals but they usually went unpunished. Our definition of ethical and unethical behavior has changed due to technological development and the spread of globalization. My father spoke of the natural human behaviors as self-interested beings and how this often leads to insatiable ambition and a lack of justice as fairness. When hiring new employees, he noted, he tries to look for reliable, altruistic people that seek to work for the betterment of society. However, he said that this is difficult to do as people are not always honest and transparent in their moral and ethical beliefs. As a leader of his company and in the community, he always strives to act according to the principles of servant leadership. He believes that strong ethical and moral principles serve as a significant distinction between effective and ineffective leaders. ( 8 )

tbowen14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lpeale15 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 am

Was reading an article earlier today about a judge's analysis of the ethical decision making surrounding the Newscorp scandal, which if you havent heard involved an engaging in unethical and illegal acts that resulted in human rights being violated due to a phone hacking, and found it interesting that a judge suggested improvement by recommending an idea we discussed in our subgroup in class on Tues: forming a regulatory body basically to oversee ethical practices of British newspapers. There was push back but seeing as how papers are found violating the codes of ethics that they themselves created, skillful intervention is needed to promote integrity. (5)

-LP

lpeale15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

CEO vs CEO/Chairman/President – submission to a higher authority

Post  RoRaleigh on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 am

On a recent trip to London to study international finance with JCU, I took an interest in a somewhat controversial issue in the realm of business leadership. In many companies around the world the positions of CEO, Chairman of the Board and President of a company are held by the same individual. In the EU this is frowned upon, while in the US it is often the norm. The argument for one person in all these roles is that it makes for a smoother operation of the company since there is less need to debate decisions or obtain approvals. The negative to this arrangement is that this consolidation of power leaves little room for oversight, and substantial opportunity for toxic leadership to cause significant damage. The purpose of the board is to represent shareholders by advising on, investigating and approving high-level decisions from an educated position that is free of conflict of interests. Since board members should have no official connection to the company or “C” level administrators, they can look at decisions with an unbiased eye. This process of oversight is subverted if the chairman, who can control the board, is the person answering to the board. This leads to an opportunity where an ego-driven CEO who refuses to answer to the board can stifle criticism and build a totalitarian rule over the company. This situation is worsened when most boards are composed of people appointed or nominated and approved by the chairman/CEO, promoting cronyism in the board. The EU accountancy rule-making entity is considering a rule to require the three positions be held by different individuals to enforce the originally intended oversight, but the debate rages on as politics and issues of international convergence/acceptance weigh in.

RoRaleigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JesseGardocki on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:30 pm

Today at work I had training for an hour on our quality and regulatory system. They spoke a lot about the follower's responsibility in this process as having the self-determination and put in the effort to ensure our work fit into that system. It is our responsibility to do the right and ethical thing because we technically could sneak non-compliant work through the system potentially. We have to understand how our decisions we make could potentially effect the company during an FDA audit, so it is important to gain the necessary knowledge from these training sessions.

JesseGardocki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Progress Update

Post  DrewSpada on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:32 pm

I am feeling a bit DISCONFIRMED as I was not able to get an interview with my companies CEO. I could not get through his assistant, who I was hoping would have EMPATHY in her decision making, but I was not so lucky. Hopefully others will be able to ACHIEVE in this task, so that I will not feel as though I let the group down. In other progress news, I will be analyzing the data from our undergraduate survey this weekend to attempt to determine what aspects of ethics we can hope to INFLUENCE the undergrads on. It appears that some of the respondents took a UTILITARIAN few of ethics, as they determine when it is ok or not to break some of the minor rules.

DrewSpada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NBA Ethics

Post  anorton120878 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 pm

This could be an expose on toxic leadership of NBA commish David Stern, engaging in unehtical acts of favoritism in the NBA based on which team gets the highest ratings by having the most drama, or singling out teams that 'do it right' (ie. the Spurs) as scapegoats for low ratings. But I'd rather look at Spurs owner Gregg Popovich as an example of Steward leadership. He doesn't try to steal the spotlight and recognizes his obligation to players and fans to create a drama free workplace and superior product. He shows stewardship and partenership with his players by understanding that "it's a player's league. I (Popovich) think it's very important for a coach to make sure that his players believe 100 percent – and not with lip service – that it's about them. Coaches are going to do everything they can to create that environment for them. It's not about creating an environment for us. It's a privilege to be able to coach these guys. We make enough money." It's refreshing to see the good side in the media at times.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html

anorton120878

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crucial Conversations 2

Post  Sarah Peshek on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 pm

This was the last day of my crucial conversations class and I found that these discussions can lead to AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP. When coworkers can be transparent while being respectful, RELATIONAL ORIENTATION can be achieved. Crucial conversations require having good AWARENESS and using UNBIASED PROCESSING to achieve successful ACTION.

Sarah Peshek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Field Work

Post  colintrimble on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:44 pm

I do a lot of work in the field for my job and it creates a hectic schedule sometimes. Staying disciplined to meet my obligations requires me to keep in mind what's right and what's wrong, which is a good example of Kant's categorical imperative. I sometimes have to remind myself that my work benefits my coworkers and the public, not just me...I have to believe in the communitarian aspect of my work. Knowing that my agency's work often benefits the working poor gives me motivation to act ethically and elevates my purpose when I feel that my work is getting monotonous. (5)

colintrimble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

vacation time

Post  Kyra.Pritchard on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:12 am

My manager and I are responsible for making the schedule and making sure everyone gets their vacation. We have been saying for weeks now that if you don't take your vacation before the end of the year, that you will lose it. We had to look at it from the PERSPECTIVE that each person was entitled to their vacation but we also had to staff the branch. We had to do ANALYSIS of who had what days left and make a DECISION on what we could do to be ACCOMMODATING. Even though we tried to not be RIGID in our thinking, some people in the branch delayed choosing vacation time this year and will therefore lose the days.

Kyra.Pritchard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on our survey

Post  jnedley on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:31 am

More than eighty percent of our respondents believe that even copying off a friend's homework assignment is "academically dishonest," suggesting a fairly conservative moral sensitivity. Knowledge of how to manage and report ethical violations appears not to be quite as strong, however - on a scale from 1 ("Strongly Disagree") to 10 ("Strongly Agree"), mean scores on these questions ranged between 5 and 6. And action? Well, let's just say our results reflect a striking relational orientation, and our respondents are showing some serious courage to assume responsibility. Nearly eighty percent said they have witnessed ethics issues or academic dishonesty, and nearly half admitted to committing such an act themselves. Clearly, our respondents are not living Kant's categorical imperative. How do we characterize the ethical climate at JCU? Certainly we don't want to say corrupt; but is it at least somewhat intemperate? Maybe. Our results don't suggest strong evidence of a culture that values partnership and aspires to an elevating purpose.

jnedley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A Smiley for Your Contacts

Post  lpeale15 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:56 am

Today I was looking for the app that provides the latest emoticons that I have been seeing and was taken aback when finding one that required access to phone contacts. My contacts in exchange for smiley faces? Really? Talk about having potential for casting a shadow of mismanaged information... I got upset because it seems odd that the developer is even allowed to request access to such personal information for something so trivial and make it easy for employees to potentially violate human rights. Needless to say, I didn't download it as I highly questioned the moral character of the developer and was skeptical of the moral judgment of its employees (working for a company sitting on a load of personal contact lists). It's very difficult to accept that the app couldn't have been designed in a way that does not easily pave the way for/tempt employees to commit unethical, illegal, or criminal acts. I mean why in earth would sharing of smiley faces be linked to access to personal contacts? The tech experts reeeally couldn't think up any other way? No *side eye* lol. Have a wonderful weekend all. (5)

lpeale15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Unethical behavior makes me lose my Hohos

Post  RoRaleigh on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:52 am

It looks like this year we will lose an institution that has given me some very fond memories. Hostess bakeries will reportedly shut down its operations this year simply due to inflexibility. The Hostess company has been around for over 75 years, and I have been eating their products since I can remember. Ignoring the “shelf-life of Twinkies” jokes and the damage done to my weight, I will deeply regret a life without Twinkies, Hohos, Suzy-Qs and Kingdons, and more importantly the comfort they have brought. What is most disheartening is tracing the path that led to this disaster. As business became strained from the economic downturn, an aging workforce’s pensions and healthcare, and a healthy-eating backlash to their products, Hostess needed to trim its budgets to survive. Workers and the primary Union were unwilling to make concessions to a company that they interpreted as simply taking advantage of workers. Both sides accused the other of a lack of empathy with led to escalating hostilities. In the end this can all be summed up by a statement from the Union as the announcement that Hostess would be shutting down, “Our members would rather go home without a job than allow Hostess to continue to cut pay and benefits.” This seems completely against reason and seems to me to be a very compressed and limited mindset. The workers would rather take retribution, lose their jobs and (pardon my word choice) leach off of the government/taxpayers, than take a pay cut and maintain a steady paycheck with benefits (albeit less of them then before). This type of entitlement and lack of perspective has spelled doom for one company and now puts the burden on the other taxpayers in this country. In terms of courageous fellowship I’m sure the Union believes that it is showing courage to challenge, but they did not show any of the other parts of courageous fellowship, like to serve or to assume responsibility. At best they could show the courage to leave and allow workers with more reasonable attitudes to take much needed jobs and help the company recover instead of dragging it down with them.

RoRaleigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ndomonkos15 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:15 am

RoRaleigh wrote:On a recent trip to London to study international finance with JCU, I took an interest in a somewhat controversial issue in the realm of business leadership. In many companies around the world the positions of CEO, Chairman of the Board and President of a company are held by the same individual. In the EU this is frowned upon, while in the US it is often the norm. The argument for one person in all these roles is that it makes for a smoother operation of the company since there is less need to debate decisions or obtain approvals. The negative to this arrangement is that this consolidation of power leaves little room for oversight, and substantial opportunity for toxic leadership to cause significant damage. The purpose of the board is to represent shareholders by advising on, investigating and approving high-level decisions from an educated position that is free of conflict of interests. Since board members should have no official connection to the company or “C” level administrators, they can look at decisions with an unbiased eye. This process of oversight is subverted if the chairman, who can control the board, is the person answering to the board. This leads to an opportunity where an ego-driven CEO who refuses to answer to the board can stifle criticism and build a totalitarian rule over the company. This situation is worsened when most boards are composed of people appointed or nominated and approved by the chairman/CEO, promoting cronyism in the board. The EU accountancy rule-making entity is considering a rule to require the three positions be held by different individuals to enforce the originally intended oversight, but the debate rages on as politics and issues of international convergence/acceptance weigh in.

I find this fascinating because it is almost the exact opposite when considering how business is conducted compared to our government.... Essentially it is checks and balances, which is what we created, and ironically if you look at the "fiscal cliff" right now it can be perceived as the detriment to us as a nation. While apparently in other countries checks and balances is perceived as the norm for business, it is not likely the same in their government which is likely far more corrupt...
I know that as a nation we follow utilitarianism via a democratic style of leadership. While we ultimately succeed at this we are perceived as evil sometimes; however, in some parts of the world but we feel the same... The reality is the best saying in the world is that: "it is what it is" we have to recognize in a global economic world that we cannot always be right; however, we recognize that as a nation we need to have the courage to serve, the courage to challenge and the courage to participate in transformation... I hope one day that everyone who does embody the attributes of bad leadership realizes that transformational leadership should prevail...

ndomonkos15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next