MB551 Class Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

+18
anorton120878
smoore15jcu
jkoslo
lpeale15
RoRaleigh
jwatrobski15
tbowen14
alexdelisi
ndomonkos15
sjavali
colintrimble
JesseGardocki
joserivera
Kyra.Pritchard
DrewSpada
erikgorman
Sarah Peshek
mark.pelsozy
22 posters

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Feedback after class

Post  colintrimble Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:14 am

I felt optimism after class because because I think we made strides towards achieving our goals. However, the beginning of class could have used a more pacesetting leadership style to move things along at a quicker pace. I also think students should show greater environmental awareness to avoid going off topic. Scott Moore practiced conjunctive communication to facilitate discussion. He remained problem-oriented when pointing out flaws in others' ideas. (5)

colintrimble

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Todays Class

Post  alexdelisi Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:15 am

Today I feel we made progress but are still a long way from completing the activity. We were able to successfully set some baseline expectations but I feel than in our converstion this evening people may have felt disconfirmed. I understand that we are under time and unplesent expectation stressors but I still feel we need to have more focus on developing alternatives. Some of the tasks can be paired together. There needs to be clairity on all topics and issues. Scott did great filling the role of leader but I feel at time was to democratic.

alexdelisi

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Moving forward

Post  Kyra.Pritchard Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:19 am

During out class session tonight, I think that we all suffered from COMPRESSION, COMPLACENCY, COMMITMENT and CONSTANCY, both in the group setting and when discussing with Scott. I think that after we were able to be more DESCRIPTIVE and SPECIFIC around what we wanted clarified, we were able to move past our conceptual blocks. Our ETHICAL SENSITIVITY also helped us move though the tasks as NON POSITIONAL LEADERS. We were able to INFLUENCE each other to PLAN our next steps in order to DO them this week.

Kyra.Pritchard

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Parents Interview

Post  joserivera Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 am

Tonight I interviewed my mom about a professional experience concerning an ethics related issue. My mom described a situation at her work while she was working for Hospice of the Western Reserve. Mom was in a positional leadership role as a supervisor RN for hospice care at an inpatient facility. While she was taking care of a patient there was an issue conflict between the patient and the doctor. The patient was diagnosed with a terminal illness and was actively dying from her illness. The doctor was supposed to provide care for the patient to reduce suffering and make the patient comfortable during the dying process. The patient's bill of rights stated that the patient had the right to self determination and discretion on the level of care. The patient decided that she did not want to undergo aggressive treatment options. The doctor did not agree with the decision and insisted that the patient agree to the full scope of the aggressive treatment or the doctor would refuse to treat the patient. Mom felt that the stance taken by the doctor violated the policy and base line expectations established by the organizational charter. This policy and charter were developed by the organization's ethics committee. The doctor dented the patient treatment and my mom found another doctor that would comply with the policy. My mom submitted the issue to the ethics committee and as a result the doctor resigned from the organization. This is an example of how organizations can establish clear ethical norms and procedures.

joserivera

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Being A Good Leader and Trying To Be A Good Follower

Post  tbowen14 Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:43 am

We as a cohort demonstrated many dimensions of courageous followership today. We had the courage to assume responsibility, courage to serve, and courage to challenge. Scott Moore led the class in an approach of utilitarianism and emphasized the importance of accepting citizenship. We attempted to solve conflicts through methods of collaboration but I think some people still left feeling disconfirmed and defensive. (7)

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Re: Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

Post  JesseGardocki Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:45 am

I feel that our class was productive tonight but had several conceptual blocks that kept derailing our progress. We would become committed or compressed to one idea and become stuck on it. I do think we established good supportive communication and was validative rather than making others feel disconfirmed.

JesseGardocki

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Re: Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

Post  ndomonkos15 Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 am

Tonight was another leap forward towards our presentation the night of the fourth. Dr. Allen made his best effort to be laizzez-faire, nonetheless by continually engaging him I know his overall passion for this subject ensured that he returned to his default of coaching. Collectively, our team still must overcome the pitfalls of some conceptual blocks but I still feel better after every meeting. We are still defining the problem to an extent but after this evening we now have at least accomplished a few tasks and have enough information to at least feel comfortable in moving forward with other tasks.

ndomonkos15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Observing

Post  jwatrobski15 Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:41 am

I came into tonight's class with some unpleasant expectations but tried my best to exhibit optimism. We had a bit of a roller coaster first session with some highs and lows in this experiment. After some coaching from Scott Allen we were able to use some imagination through our small group exercises to come up with a good plan of action for each of our sub group tasks.

jwatrobski15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Good Morning

Post  alexdelisi Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:31 am

Good Morning,

I was thinking about calss again yesterday and decided to talk about ethics with my parents. They have gone through many ethical problems with both there family as well as there careers. I do not want to get into the details because of sensitivity of the issue. I can tell you that they both felt like they were responciable to model a way for others to follow. They did not belive the followers responcibility and attacted the stressor with aggression. My dad especially. My mom is more of a pacesetting style when she is under stress. They both coped with the stress with a proactive strategy. My dad was the interesting to talk to. He is a firm believe in ethics and as a lawyer has experencd many ethical problems in his life.

alexdelisi

Back to top Go down

Post  lpeale15 Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 am

I feel like each of my recent blogs are on the subject of work overload. These flu bug strains havent made things any easier. Nevertheless, while I am tempted to employ the enactive strategy of dropping the course, I am trying to instead remain optimistic and perhaps identify some proactive strategies to get me through it. Now if only I didn't have time constraints that make it tough to find the time to do so...lol... (5)

lpeale15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Last Night's Observations

Post  RoRaleigh Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:18 pm

I think that last night's meeting brought us much closer to the pace we need if we are to complete the required tasks by the indicated deadline. A few members showed initiative in accepting futher responsibilities, an example of courageous fellowship by the courage to assume responsibility. One aspect of the meeting was that there was a level of accountability designated during the meeting. This was a little unconventional as instead of the "teeth" being a bad grade, it is the potential marginalization of cohort members if they are not performing to the standards of the rest of the class or are not exhibiting due citizenship and authenticity.

RoRaleigh

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Imagination for Task #9

Post  mark.pelsozy Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:03 pm

To define the problem: We as a group must read the entire textbook and prove to Scott A that we have done so. One of our alternative solutions that we tried to implement was to provide our group leaders with summaries to the chapters in the text, but we need to imagine and discuss some more alternatives.

What if we used our blogs to demonstrate our knowledge of the textbook? We are already blogging every day, so it will not add to our individual workload. We have to blog once a week on ethics in the news per task #17, and we also need to remember to rotate in a few blogs about MB551 through the lens of MB552 to satisfy task #37 (most of us, if not all of us, have already done so). But this still leaves all of us with several days' worth of blogs to choose interesting topics from each chapter of our text as we go along, and write our insights & observations about those topics right here in this forum thread.

mark.pelsozy
Admin

https://mb551.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Peshek Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Last night's class felt a little like growing pains; the experience was necessary for growth, but it was uncomfortable as times. Scott did a nice job using PACESETTING towards the middle and end of class, from a more DEMOCRATIC style. Nothing is wrong with either of these styles, but based on the WORK OVERLOAD and time constraints, this helped us be more productive. One way to IMPROVE our approach to the project and break down more CONCEPTUAL BLOCKS may be for our sub-teams to split up and talk with other sub-team members to discuss their tasks and how they may relate to our own, which may help us work smarter.

Sarah Peshek

Back to top Go down

Post  lpeale15 Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:55 pm

I had a conversation today with someone in a leadership role that was really helpful in coaching me concerning both enactive and proactive strategies for addressing work overload. I am very appreciative of the affiliative leadership style as well as the confirming listening skills she demonstrated during our talk. (6)

lpeale15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty I think i'm responding to this

Post  anorton120878 Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:12 pm

mark.pelsozy wrote:To define the problem: We as a group must read the entire textbook and prove to Scott A that we have done so. One of our alternative solutions that we tried to implement was to provide our group leaders with summaries to the chapters in the text, but we need to imagine and discuss some more alternatives.

What if we used our blogs to demonstrate our knowledge of the textbook? We are already blogging every day, so it will not add to our individual workload. We have to blog once a week on ethics in the news per task #17, and we also need to remember to rotate in a few blogs about MB551 through the lens of MB552 to satisfy task #37 (most of us, if not all of us, have already done so). But this still leaves all of us with several days' worth of blogs to choose interesting topics from each chapter of our text as we go along, and write our insights & observations about those topics right here in this forum thread.

I like the idea Mark. If we Scotty A to sign off on it should save us all another step

anorton120878

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty deceptive practices?

Post  anorton120878 Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:07 pm

One attribute of toxic leadership is the destructive behavior of engaging in unethical acts. One example that the book gives of mismanaged information is not disclosing information to employees that may be able to use it, or asking subordinates to keep something quiet. At what point does citizenship or ethics obligate a leader to share information about a possible merger or closure to the employee population at large? When an event is for sure, or just likely, or when public knowledge of the event will not adversely effect other negotiations? Sharing information prematurely could cause a loss of legitimacy as a leader in the view of the organization. But as Scott said, leadership is not always safe.

anorton120878

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Ethics

Post  Jayhall81 Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:14 pm

Have an ethical situation I am struggling with at work. My current manager at work is getting pushed out of his role and he is not really aware. This has to do with some unintended consequences of me taking on a non-positional leadership role and having a follower’s responsibility by influencing the higher ups. He is pursuing a course of action I know is a dead-end, but if I told him I knew that he would know I went behind his back. He is a nice guy but manages by exception (passive) and has done little to develop me in the organization. I have gained some visibility from higher ups which has been nice, but I hate my manager not knowing. Not sure what I should do about this.

Jayhall81

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty MB 552 Terms Guiding My Work (Task #53)

Post  colintrimble Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 pm

I'm doing task #35 in my sub-group and there are several MB 552 terms that have come to mind. I'm showing citizenship by doing my part for my group. I'm also developing relationships with JCU personnel to get the information I need. My group is showing good teamwork with the division of tasks and specific communication. Finally, I'm listening to recommendations from others about who to contact and how to get responses to our survey. (5)

Last edited by colintrimble on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

colintrimble

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty growing as a cohort

Post  Kyra.Pritchard Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:24 am

Over the course of the past week, I have been able to GET ON THE BALCONY and observe that we have all really started DEVELOPING RELATIONSHIPS within the cohort that will make us a stronger group moving forward. We are all becoming LEADERS in one way or another and are really grasping the EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE and GROUP SAVVY concepts more so than before. I am finding it very interesting that we are exploring MORAL JUDGEMENT and am interested to see what everyone reports back in their findings.

Kyra.Pritchard

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Contributing As A Leader

Post  tbowen14 Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:08 am

I have a lot of centrality, relevance, and visibility in our current cohort project. I am also putting in a significant amount of effort. Yet I, like everyone else, am suffering from time stressors, especially a lack of control. (5)

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Post  JesseGardocki Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Today I saw an email from a lady in my company that was upset with someone (possibly me...). She used very little emotional self-control and was very unprofessional and copied many of the upper managers. It made her seem not legitimate and had intent to make the person feel disconfirmed. It didnt work though.

I feel that work overload stress went down after handing in my MB550 final exam.

JesseGardocki

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Gearing up to Make Some Progress

Post  DrewSpada Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:37 pm

I was able to submit my first piece of my assigned tasks last night, demonstrating the FOLLOWER'S RESPONSIBILITY by sending it early and allowing other team members more time to work on their pieces. It was nice to show some TEAMWORK on Tuesday as we attempted to make solid progress. Everyone seems to be putting in the necessary EFFORT to keep this task going. It was good to set some expectations the other night as well, as we have to LISTEN to and INFLUENCE one another. We shall see how the TIME STRESSOR effects us as our target gets closer and closer.

DrewSpada

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Elements of character

Post  anorton120878 Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 pm

The elements of character have several EIL capacities linked, in fact directly stated, to them. Humility requires self awareness and encourages building relationships. It also fosters a collaborative conflict management option and inspires trust to empower co-workers. And optimism is an element of character. 551 through 552, check. reading the book, check. I love this game

anorton120878

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Combining tasks

Post  Sarah Peshek Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 pm

This class is causing so many UNPLEASANT EXPECTATIONS and I'm starting to become FEARFUL we will not be able to conduct all of our interviews by the 27th. We also need to use INCUBATION to generate ideas that emphasize TEAMWORK to help complete all of our tasks. Could we combine some additional tasks with the debate about Clinton and the ethical decision making discussion we're completing next Tuesday? If we use our IMAGINATION to generate new ideas for tasks 26-28, that will also help.

Sarah Peshek

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 4 Empty Sub-group 4

Post  colintrimble Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Each of my group members is showing the courage to assume responsibility by taking initiative with assigned tasks. As a group, we are demonstrating the courage to serve the class by keeping our commitments. Jason is taking effective action as our leader to organize the focus group we need next week. We are using our motivation to create a good final product for the class presentation in December. (6)

colintrimble

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next