MB551 Class Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

+18
anorton120878
smoore15jcu
jkoslo
lpeale15
RoRaleigh
jwatrobski15
tbowen14
alexdelisi
ndomonkos15
sjavali
colintrimble
JesseGardocki
joserivera
Kyra.Pritchard
DrewSpada
erikgorman
Sarah Peshek
mark.pelsozy
22 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Getting Going

Post  DrewSpada Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:11 pm

We have finally picked some leaders and are DEFINING ROLES. It was good to be able to get some more clarifying information, and know that we can utilize some IMAGINATION to knock out a few of the tasks right off the bat. I'm feeling much more OPTIMISTIC than before. Once we get moving, I'm sure that we will be able to INFLUENCE Scott that our progress is picking up. It will be quite a task to get over the COMMITMENT to the normal schooling model, but I'm hoping this experience will provide us with the tools that we need to be EXPERT leaders. We will be a few hours closer to our 10,000 HOURS needed to be masters.

Once we get the roles determined, it is important to really DEFINE THE PROBLEM. We can quite possibly see more connections between the items, and take care of them quickly.

DrewSpada

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

Post  Sarah Peshek Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:43 pm

It's good to see so many of us taking the INITIATIVE to get the ball rolling with this project. Scott Moore will be our class LEADER and now we are DETERMINING ROLES for the sub-groups as well. If we put in the EFFORT this weekend and meet with our sub-groups, when we meet (most likely prior to class) on Tuesday, we will be able to get everyone on the same page by spending time up front completing the decision making model. Hopefully, then we'll be caught up, since Scott said we're behind what the previous classes did the first night. We have to remember to work smart, which we started to do by grouping the tasks and seeing which are repetitive, similar, not much work, a lot of work, etc. I believe some of this project relates to ethics in the tasks we have to complete. It appears to be WORK OVERLOAD and in past business experiences, work overload can lead to unethical behavior to complete a performance goal.

Sarah Peshek

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty The Election's Over!

Post  colintrimble Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:02 pm

I watched the election results on Tues. and the candidates' (recorded) speeches tonight. I was surprised by the early ending and the larger-than-expected margin for President Obama. It really demonstrated the effort and non-positional leadership of his campaign volunteers who got out the vote. Some journalists have explained the results by crediting the President's personal attributes (likable, comfortable around people). Others have focused on the Republicans' lack of environmental awareness concerning the changing demographics, or increasing diversity, of the population. The Obama campaign has been praised for its ability to capitalize on this difference with the GOP and dramatically outperform them with support from various minority groups.

I was impressed with the humility of Gov. Romney's concession speech, in which he demonstrated great emotional self-control. He expressed some much-needed optimism that the country will respect the vote of the people and support the President and elected congressional leaders.

President Obama showed again his ability to inspire a shared vision for the country. He spoke at length about the challenges the country faces, which portrayed the leader vs. manager two-step he needs to do to reform tax policy, immigration policy, and energy policy. Finally, he expressed his willingness to lead in a democratic fashion with leaders from both parties in the months and years ahead. (10)

colintrimble

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Making progress

Post  Kyra.Pritchard Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Well we have definitely been RUNNING A SERIES OF EXPERIMENTS in getting this class off the ground. We have successfully DETERMINED ROLES and now we are looking to more accurately DEFINE THE PROBLEM. We have observed TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERSHIP from many within our cohort, whether it be envisioning the final product through IDEALIZED INFLUENCE or working to bring out the best in everyone through INDIVIDUAL CONSIDERATION. Many of us have tapped into our GROUP SAVVY and ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS capacities, and this will help us greatly with many of the hands-on interview and discussion based tasks. I think we have all had TIME STRESS, however, this may have been caused by our CONCEPTUAL BLOCKS. If we COLLABORATE to come up with the best end product, we will succeed.

Kyra.Pritchard

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Blog 2

Post  JesseGardocki Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm going to retract my previous comment about having Spanish menus and be authentic enough to admit that I have French menus, like the rest of you. If I would have just shown more effort and initiative in Spanish 1 freshman year and had more self-determination I would have been able to distinguish between the two languages better. That took a lot of self-awareness, but I think I can move on now. (5)

JesseGardocki

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty process and progress

Post  erikgorman Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Any of us that are Browns fans will get this, nut I think we are "battling" and making "progress" here. Despite not checking off tasks yet, I think that it is important that we establish well-rounded teams. Once our teams are official, if they are nto already, we can establish our own processes to complete our portions and combine them as one class. TEAMWORK is going to be essential as well as our abilities to LISTEN to each other. The team leaders will all have to place TRUST in their respective people. I think we all posess the SELF DETERMINATION to make the class a success individually as well as through the lens of the collective group. We need to have VALIDATING discussion/conversation from this point so that we can begin to build off of the momentum we are starting to gain and get rolling on our task list.

erikgorman

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Blog posts

Post  joserivera Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Going forward with the tasks I think we should start completing items ASAP. Today I was the guest speaker at a Veterans Day ceremony at NASA Glenn and I secured an interview with an Air force General for our group. I will schedule the interview to be completed by next week. I will continue to implement the followers responsibility and work to influence and contribute to the group at large and the small group. I want everyone to know that I am fully committed as a citizen of the group and am willing to help with additional tasks that other small groups might be having difficulty with. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly with actionable items that need completed. One of my strengths index themes is arraigning, so I am also open to helping develop any standardized processes that we are trying to develop towards project completion. One action item that we should look at is collecting funds for the food and the event. I recommend that we designate a funds manager and determine a budget for the event. It might be a good idea for an accounting or finance guy/gal in the class to assume that role.

Jose

joserivera

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Organization is the key to success

Post  alexdelisi Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:05 am

Scott to the initiative and defined his role as overall leader. I do not have a problem with this. Going forward we need to limit the email communications and get everyone inspired in the same vision. We still have not developed a strong definition of the problem. I am an advocate of meeting Saturday morning at 9 am (we are all use to this time for the other class) and iron this out in person. This is getting out of control and is an unfavorable working condition. We need to become better organized to tackle this topic because all of our grades are on the line.

alexdelisi

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty On Our Way...

Post  ndomonkos15 Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:20 am

Without a doubt, everyone seems to be taking initiative as we strive to determine roles, define the problem and determine alternatives. Scott Moore has done an exceptional job of intervening skillfully and assuming the role of positional leader. While I can still feel the anticipatory stress in some emails and blog posts, I feel that everyone is doing their due diligence regarding the follower’s responsibility. We have a long road to go but we are definitely running experiments and today I feel we took a big step towards the final product.

ndomonkos15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty one more try

Post  anorton120878 Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:21 am

I know we still have some determining roles and defining of problems to do, but I'll try to get in contact with some interview peeps this weekend and see if I can influence them to help us out. I've developed a good relationship with a friend who had a family member convicted of ethics violations and I'm sure he would be willing to chat. Scott, thanks for taking the initiative to start coordinating some stuff.

anorton120878

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Information overload

Post  sjavali Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:32 am

We all have been getting emails today with regard to MB551. I've been under a lot of situational stress (rapid change) with mails coming in one after another. I tried to withdraw myself until the evening from reading all the emails, however as I go through them right now, I seem to be going through work overload. While we all have shown great initiative and teamwork, what remains to be seen is how well we execute this plan. No doubt we will come together as a cohort (show citizenship) and hit this ball out of the park. Good Night

sjavali

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Moving Towards Truly Diagnosing The Situation

Post  tbowen14 Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:49 am

As a positional leader, I am finding that being a "good" leader is a lot more difficult than I sometimes assume. Nonetheless, Scott Moore (along with several other of my fellow classmates) has done a commendable job at taking the initiative to assume the role of class leader. He has exhibited many dimensions of courageous fellowship in having the courage to assume responsibility, the courage to serve, the courage to challenge, and the courage to engage in the transformation process. Having determined the roles, we are diagnosing the situation and defining the problem so that we can spend the next few days before class determining alternative solutions. (11)

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Concepts and Exam

Post  jwatrobski15 Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:52 am

Tabitha took the initiative to put together the list of new terms and now we need to define those terms, learn those terms and then test our proficiency with a midterm. We have not yet determined when the midterm will be or who dictates when that midterm will be, is the cohort or Scott Allen? Everyone must also read the ethical book and purchase Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds to guide our presentation. I am noticing that the majority of the class is committed to the task list, but there are more pieces to the whole puzzle that need to be addressed. We've all realized that we need to determine roles, which Scott Moore has taken upon himself to address with the help of Neil's survey. We are making small strides and I am starting to experience a lack of control but need to remain optimistic.

jwatrobski15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Georgia Lawmakers Push Ethics

Post  RoRaleigh Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Recently, in Atlanta, a pacesetting group of citizens that is pushing for ethics rules in the state of Georgia's legislature is starting to find ground. They have taken some initiative in becoming change agents by proposing a $100 cap on lobbyist gifts to the legislature members, requiring further accountability for accepting gifts. This has found some traction as 50 of the 130 recently elected legislators suppport the proposal in a sign of citizenship in responsibility to their constituents and authenticity in being transperent. Previously many of the legislators felt the effors put forward by this group lacked personal consequence to the lawmakers, but now the threat of retribution in future elections has pushed them out of their compacency to have debate concerning the proposal.

RoRaleigh

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Subgroup Formation

Post  mark.pelsozy Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:14 pm

The first thing I did today as a member of subgroup "5" was to use a little bit of honest self understanding, achievement, and emotional self perception in choosing the tasks that I feel optimistic about tackling to contribute to our final product. I know we will have to be willing to exhibit a good deal of flexibility when it comes time to officially assign ourselves to specific tasks.

mark.pelsozy
Admin

https://mb551.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Can We Clarify Some Questions with Scott - A Few Things to Think About

Post  DrewSpada Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:37 pm

I double checked with Scott the other day to make sure that we were not falling into a conceptual block of CONSTANCY or COMPLACENCY with the posts. Scott confirmed that we need to post on weekdays like in the first class. I was thinking about conceptual blocks further the other day.

I'm trying to use some IMAGINATION in solving some of the bigger issue like the interviews. We may want to look into whether or not all of these interviews for generals and CEOs need to be currently in their jobs. Former CEOs and generals may have more time on their hands. We could check with the JCU alumni association and office to point us to these individuals as well if we are allowed to use retired people. I wouldn't want us wasting tons of time because we were suffering from COMMITMENT that said we had to get interviews with extremely busy individuals. Just trying to help us throw out some options before we narrow them down. We really need to DEFINE THE PROBLEM though, and make sure we know what to ask before we reach out.

DrewSpada

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Meetings this weekend

Post  Sarah Peshek Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Since Tuesday evening's class, we've ACHIEVED a lot through blogs, emails and phone calls. We've been using similar leadership styles, including DEMOCRATIC and PACESETTING. For the time allotted and tasks to complete, pacesetting seems to be a good leadership style to use during crucial times. Rather than meeting in person as I originally thought, other team members recognized the CONSTANCY block and said we could Skype or do a conference call, which is a COLLABORATIVE solution since we probably live in many different cities.

Sarah Peshek

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty MB551

Post  sjavali Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Today all the subgroup leaders had a conference call (teamwork) to decide on when to meet, what would be the agenda for the meeting and how to take this forward. Scott took the inititative to set up the call and the rest displayed cititzenship . Everyone came to a mutual consensus to meet sunday morning. I'm optimistic we will be able to come together as a cohort and work towards a shared vision by enabling and developing one another along the way.

sjavali

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty feet on the ground

Post  erikgorman Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:24 pm

I think our collective OPTIMISM shoud be on the rise. Scott is MODELLING THE WAY and INSPIRING A SHARED VISION to the whole class in the way he has taken charge here and he should be commended for that. Those of use who are not subgroup leaders need to enact our FOLLOWER'S RESPONSIBILITY throughout our meetings and assigned tasks to be sure we produce the best product possible. I am encouraged by how we are reacting to what started as a stressfull situation and I believe that the subgroup can COLABORATE to make everybody as efficient as can be.

Also to Brad -- Best of luck on the new gig.

erikgorman

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty The Ultimate Ethical Standard

Post  tbowen14 Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:27 pm

I believe that we are finally moving towards defining the problem and determining alternative solutions. Yet this process is far from easy when everyone has ideas and opinions. As a sub-group leader I am trying to practice altruism and use a communitarianism approach to reasoning with the group, putting others at the center of focus rather than myself. This is especially important when circumstances prevent us from all meeting together as a group. A level of trust and citizenship must be established when operating on behalf of others in the group when they are not able to be present to represent themselves. (6)

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!

Post  JesseGardocki Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Today I witnessed an employee showing a non-positional leadership to influence and inspire other employees. He showed a lot of initiative and effort to persuade an upper manager to side with him. He used reciprocity to get the manager to side with his ideas.

JesseGardocki

Back to top Go down

Post  ndomonkos15 Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:14 am

I feel that we are striving toward the shared vision! Scott Moore is certainly using a democratic approach as the class lead. However he is also utilizing the change agent at times with a more authoritative style to mobilize us to do. My only fear is that some people may become disconfirmed. However, I feel that there is a dynamic going on that lies well within the realm of trust empowerment and come Tuesday I am optimistic that we will be a well oiled machine.

ndomonkos15

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Meeting Sat?

Post  alexdelisi Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:19 am

Hey everyone,

I feel we may be a little disorganized. I theink people are feeling disconfirmed of defensive. We need to inspire a vision and set baseline expectations for everyone to follow. I am an advocate for meeting sat morning. It does not appear that people want to do that. We need to influence people becasue everyones grade is on the line.

alexdelisi

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty Chaos

Post  anorton120878 Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:43 am

This feels like chaos right now. I would like to move forward with Scott Moore's initiative and gather with smaller groups to begin working things out and focus on some topics. I'm backing Jon's bid as leader of our group and would like to practice some followers responsibility to get a meeting set up this WE where we can start defining problems with these actions and discussing alternatives.

anorton120878

Back to top Go down

Daily Blog Updates - Post Your Blogs Here!  - Page 2 Empty feeling more confident

Post  Kyra.Pritchard Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:52 am

I am feeling some strong WORK OVERLOAD and TIME STRESS right now with all of the tasks that I need to complete for my classes and work right now. I have been able to have some HONEST SELF-UNDERSTANDING and now realize my limitations. I am working to PLAN out my weekend of work and DO what I can to minimize my stress. Tabitha has been a fantastic POSITIONAL LEADER of our subgroup so far, and I am feeling the sense of TEAMWORK and INSPIRATION that she has demonstrated. With a team meeting this weekend to feel EMPOWERED, we will be able to put IMAGINATION to work to accomplish the tasks at hand.

Kyra.Pritchard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next