MB551 Class Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Definitions - Ethics and Culture

+10
tbencic12
colintrimble
Sarah Peshek
DrewSpada
lpeale15
mark.pelsozy
anorton120878
Jayhall81
RoRaleigh
smoore15jcu
14 posters

Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty Definitions - Ethics and Culture

Post  smoore15jcu Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:03 am

Post here how you define ethics and culture specific to an educational institution. We will summarize this and present to the class Tuesday 12/4. From your research findings, how would you define/describe ethical culture? Based on your experiences as a student at BSOB (past and present), how would you define/describe the current ethical culture at the BSOB? What current BSOB cultural artifacts support your definition?

smoore15jcu

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty Re: Definitions - Ethics and Culture

Post  RoRaleigh Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:51 pm

My opinion is that ethics is the decision of right and wrong on multiple levels. I think that for the purpose of our goal, ethics is defined by the client through their chosen code and supporting statements of vision and purpose. Those are the easy answers. The current culture of ethics seems limited at best. There is very little presence on the graduate level and very little mention in actual courses. The only aspect of ethics that I see present in JCU or Boler besides the classes we take are the statements of academic dishonesty enforcement on the various syllabi I've seen, which express the policy though I've never seen it applied yet.

RoRaleigh

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty Culture and Ethics

Post  Jayhall81 Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:16 pm

I found what I think is a good definition of culture: “social glue that binds members of the organization together through shared values, symbolic devices, and shared ideals”. Regarding my time at JCU and at Boler I honestly have never really thought about the ethical culture. I did not consider the ethics or culture when applying for the school; I based it on the reputation the school has as a whole and all the good things grads had to say about it. I think ethics are important and learning about it is important but I have no idea what the "jesuit" stances on these ideas are. For MBAers it may be much more difficult to create a culture because of the lack of time spent on campus.

Jayhall81

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty defining

Post  anorton120878 Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:59 am

To me, ethics means doing what is morally right. In the context of an ethical culture, members of the social unit, in this case the Boler School, would strive to make decisions based on what is morally right. Defining morally right is the trick. I believe that the BSOB has done this through a code of ethics, mission statements and jesuit tradition generally, but I don't find it to be very accessible. How many weeks was it before we had an official mission statement, vision, ethics guidebook? While there may be many ethical people at JCU, a purposeful ethical culture seems largely nonexistent.

anorton120878

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty My Definition

Post  smoore15jcu Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:35 am

To me, culture is something that is invisible…….it’s hard to define, you can’t point to it, and the definition varies based on what you want the final product to be. Specifically with BSOB, we have heard through our discussions with each other that a code of ethics and mission statement does exist, but some faculty (including the Dean) are not aware of where to locate the documents or the verbiage. So just like we learned in MB 552 about how leadership needs to be a conscious effort, I conclude that ethical culture also needs to be with purpose (i.e. a product in mind), and led by a conscious leadership effort that is promoted and reinforced.

smoore15jcu

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty My definition of ethics

Post  mark.pelsozy Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:40 pm

I view ethics as a set of moral rules and views that one uses to guide one's decision-making. A person's experiences and the cultural climate in which a person spends his/her time play a major role in shaping a person's "moral compass."

With respect to our project/presentation, we have an opportunity to develop a stronger ethical culture in the Boler School. The stronger the ethical culture gets within the Boler School, the more likely it is that its members will consciously utilize the Boler School's morals in their own personal ethics.

mark.pelsozy
Admin

https://mb551.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lpeale15 Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:25 pm

I and those I've spoken with about the subject define ethics as choices and decisions that are rooted in our own idea of right and wrong based upon the culture we were brought up in or that has had the greatest influence on us. I define culture as shared values and customs/norms that form/bind a group of people. As far as BSOB, I have yet to see this fully defined for me personally as a new evening and weekend student, other than to say that it is a Catholic-based culture...

-LP

lpeale15

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty Ethics

Post  DrewSpada Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:14 pm

I believe that it is important that our ethics be owned by the group and foster a sense of community. We should make sure that the ethics of the school is a more proactive environment. Ethics should be defined as the guiding principles that set the standard and tone for everything that occurs in the business school.

DrewSpada

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty Ethics and Culture

Post  Sarah Peshek Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 pm

The text, "Meeting the Ethical Challenges of Leadership," defines ethics as "the systematic study of the principles of right or wrong behavior..." However, "right or wrong behavior" are not definitive terms as seen in the variety of ethical perspectives discussed in the book. Furthermore, Merriam-Webster defines culture as "the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization." Similar groups can vary greatly based on their culture. Therefore, the Boler School of Business, in cultivating a "culture of ethics," first needs to define "culture of ethics" for the Boler School community. This means defining the shared values, goals and attitudes of right and wrong behavior. After defining and documenting these terms, they will have determined the Boler School of Business' culture of ethics, but they then need to instill it in students, faculty and staff.

Sarah Peshek

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty Defining Ethics and Culture

Post  colintrimble Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm

I think of ethics as overarching moral rules to guide a person's or group's behaviors and decisions in various settings.

I define culture as a set of common norms, traits, symbols, and communication styles that develop over time in a fixed location, which may be large or small.

I avoided researching definitions in order to be authentic. Regardless of a culture's ethics, I believe all cultures practice ethical pluralism to some extent. As JCU students, it is our responsibility to practice stewardship of the JCU culture. We can use the knowledge gained from this project to elevate our purpose and become ethical leaders on campus. (5)

colintrimble

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty Culture and Ethics

Post  tbencic12 Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Culture is a range of learned human behavior patterns that that is shared across a group of individuals. Culture derives from traditions (artifacts, customs, beliefs, etc…), subcultures (individual’s backgrounds), and universal behaviors (feelings, perceptions) that are blended together to create a unique status quo that can only be understood by the individuals that live within it. Ethics are a supplement to culture, where an individual’s (or groups) ethical character can shape the way a culture develops. Ethics are the moral principles used to guide decisions that individuals (or groups) make on a regular basis. Each decision has a consequence, either positive or negative, that can shape the culture of an entire group.

It is also important to note that individuals experience many cultures throughout their daily lives, based upon where they are, who they are around, and what the circumstances dictate.

tbencic12

Back to top Go down

Post  JesseGardocki Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 pm

I think ethics is the moral judgement that guides someone to decide what is right vs wrong. Ethics isn't always cut and dry or black and white because most of ethics is driven from religions, cultures, up bringing, and your own personal moral character. Analysis of ethics leads me to believe that religion seems to be a large influence for what people feel is ethical and what is not.

Culture is a set of traits, common norms, language, rituals, ceremonies that a group of people all share and that has developed over time. There are many different kinds of cultures across the world and each alter what those people feel is ethically correct or incorrect. Having awareness and knowledge of the culture you are working in is important to know how you should act and helps avoid insulting others.

JesseGardocki

Back to top Go down

Post  ndomonkos15 Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:02 pm

I view ethics simply as a personal view of right and wrong that are heavily influenced from upbringing, education, as well as personal and organizational affiliations. I don't feel many view the definition that differently rather how you define right and wrong is the issue. Furthermore, in an organization ethics require guidance such as the climate building tools that were mentioned in the text of: core values, a code of ethics and ethical learning. These basic tools when used properly cannot only define an organization but ensure that, in general, the culture these items create are understood and followed. Lastly, I feel that the culture is defined further by where the organization has been, where it is currently, and where it intends to be in the future (i.e. you have to understand what you were, who you are and what you want to be).

ndomonkos15

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty Culture and ethics

Post  Kyra.Pritchard Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:33 am

I define ethics as the moral compass from which decisions are made. Ethics is very much a "shades of gray" topic, where as a code of ethics is very "black and white." While many people may see the culture of ethics at John Carroll, and specifically in the Boler School, I have yet to see anything above and beyond the typical "dont' cheat academically" on professor syllabi. If the school wishes to recreate this culture, all of the administration and faculty need to be on the same page. Our ethical decision making skills come from our parents, peers, faith and education. While we need to place importance on our backgrounds, if we do not have a clear cut definition, the culture will not progress.

Kyra.Pritchard

Back to top Go down

Definitions - Ethics and Culture Empty Definitions

Post  jwatrobski15 Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm

I define ethics as moral principles. It's up to an individual or group to determine what is good ethics versus bad ethics.

I define culture as the behaviors, experiences and attitudes of a unified group.

jwatrobski15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down