MB551 Class Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identifying Leaders

+3
lpeale15
mark.pelsozy
tbowen14
7 posters

Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty Identifying Leaders

Post  tbowen14 Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 am

Scott has noted on page one of his syllabus that he prefers us to work in subgroups no larger than 4. I think we should use this space to determine who feels comfortable leading a group.

The leaders of each subgroup should come together to plan the schedule for each class.

Within each subgroup we should have a person that prepares an outline/timeline of the subgroup's tasks, takes notes, keeps track of the group's progress, and reports to the class once a week.

Essentially, we need to:

1. Identify leaders/subgroup leaders.
2. Identify subgroups.
3. Design a system for running the class.
4. Read and understand the textbook.
5. Define and memorize the listed terms.
6. Take the midterm.
7. Complete the listed tasks and conduct research.
8. Determine a way to prove to the Boler faculty that we completed the tasks. This involves creating an agenda and identifying a solid solution for the Boler school based on research that we have conducted.
9. Prepare a sales presentation demonstrating what we have accomplished in which all class members are significantly involved (12/4)
10. Oh, and don't forget to blog daily (independently) about daily observations for planning purposes, using 5 terms.

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty Scott Moore's E-mail Regarding Subgroups

Post  tbowen14 Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 am

OK, I had a chance to skim the syllabus, and I'm not into all 54 details right now, but it's obvious there's a lot to complete over the next few weeks, not to mention the Thanksgiving holiday thrown in there also. The syllabus mentions Scott wants to groups of no larger than 4.

With that said, I made us some groups. I simply took the class roster, sorted alphabetical by last name, and numbered it. With 24, the math works good for groups of 3 or 4, giving us either 6 or 8 groups. Unless I hear objections, I think this is how we need to organize and proceed. I'm running into a meeting here at work so can give more thought later to which task #'s go to which groups.

Lastly, if these groups are a go, waiting until Tuesday to meet might be wasting time. Ultimately, it will be a group by group decision when, where to meet. But one suggestion.....we are somewhat used to having class on Saturday morning. Maybe the groups use a few hours Sat morning to work on this listing.

See JCU e-mail for excel attachment

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty Re: Identifying Leaders

Post  mark.pelsozy Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:02 am

I like Scott Alan Moore's initiative in assigning subgroups. We should look into to breaking up the tasks into categories that relate to each other. For example, it may be beneficial for a subgroup to lead/manage the entire class thorugh our interviews, another subgroup be in charge of quantitative data gathering & analysis, etc. It is also important to remember that not all of the tasks will fall into a single subgroup, and not all tasks are created equal - maybe a subgroup will have their hands full with just 3 of the tasks...we have to keep this in mind as we move forward.

After we determine the missions & goals for each subgroup, each of us can then determine if we are in a group that we wish to participate in - perhaps someone is not comfortable with data gathering and wants to challenge themselves by being on that team, or conversely wishes to tap into their strengths on a particular subgroup.

mark.pelsozy
Admin

https://mb551.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lpeale15 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Love how you have clarified/simplified the syllabus to make it more digestible, Tabitha; I agree with your summarization as well as your approach! Scott has done an excellent job of handling formulating subgroups (I'm more comfortable with groups of 4 than reducing to groups of 3; but this may depend on how tasks are divided...?); I'm quite grateful for these displays of initiative because one thing that stands out for me while reading the syllabus is "You do not have a lot of time. You need to get organized. FAST." On that note/to get the 'identifying leaders' process started: I nominate Shilpa as leader of our subgroup, IF she is interested (smile)...

Last edited by lpeale15 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

lpeale15

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty MBTI's and Ground Rules? (49., 50., 51)

Post  lpeale15 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm

#49, 50, & 51 on the list seem to be key starting points as we formulate subgroups and develop discussions in the forum:

49. - What class participants' MBTI's mean from a team perspective (mine is ESTJ)
50. - Rules of the Road for communicating
51. - Norms for Accountability within our subgroups

What do you guys think...?
-LP

lpeale15

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty Group/Task Break Up

Post  Jayhall81 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:28 pm

I agree with Scott and Tabitha that groups are certainly a good idea. However, I do agree with Drew that it makes sense to group us together in a more intentional manner and that breaking up the tasks into subgroups will help give a better picture of how many groups we need. While this is possible to do via the blog it maybe more efficient to do as group. If anyone is interested in meeting this weekend for an hour or two I could make myself available.

Jayhall81

Back to top Go down

Post  lpeale15 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Jayhall81 wrote:I agree with Scott and Tabitha that groups are certainly a good idea. However, I do agree with Drew that it makes sense to group us together in a more intentional manner and that breaking up the tasks into subgroups will help give a better picture of how many groups we need. While this is possible to do via the blog it maybe more efficient to do as group. If anyone is interested in meeting this weekend for an hour or two I could make myself available.

=====
Yeah, as I just read #49 concerning mapping out class based on MBTI's and discuss what that means from team perspective, I'd have to now agree with you Justin....
-LP

lpeale15

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty Matrix

Post  RoRaleigh Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

I tried to build a matrix that divides the tasks up into sub-groups according to the type of task. Its not perfect, but it may help.

I looked at groups that would handle external interviews, JCU based (internal) interviews, literature/data, and presentations/mechanics/rules.

Some tasks have the potential to be covered by one action like an ethics scholar interview and the book author interview are probably a two-for-one. I listed these as close as I could tell.

I also mentioned tasks that require input from all the group.

Finally, I want to put up a list of the required interviews, so that people can offer up any opportunities or contacts they have that may match up.

Since I can't see how to attach the Excel matrix here I'll send it via email.

RoRaleigh

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty RE: Group Task Makeup

Post  ndomonkos15 Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:10 pm

I have not yet had time to really review the syllabus and will likely not until this evening but I agree with Drew and Justin regarding the makeup of the groups. Also, I will be available if the class would like to get together this weekend.

ndomonkos15

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty RE:

Post  tbencic12 Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:33 pm

I like the idea of the sub-groups and think those will be helpful. I also would prefer to meet up so we can get the class on the same page once we get some more information. That being said, I sent out a "feeler" email to Scott to try and gauge our level of flexibility with the syllabus he provided last night (as of right now is sounds like we are going with what he provided even though it is a ton of work and some of the items aren't relevent to our learning i.e finger foods and Clinton debates).

Should we aim for Saturday morning to meet? What will we aim to accomplish that day? Suggestions: our specific problem(s), group leaders, expectations, what we will deliver to Scott come Tuesday.

I will inform the class when I get a response from Scott.

tbencic12

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty Previous Cohort

Post  RoRaleigh Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 pm

I had a discussion today with one of the previous cohort. He made it plain that he wouldn't offer any information that would compromise the ethics of the school. He did say that it is imperative that we start trying for the interviews as soon as possible. Most of the people we will need to interview will have limited availability especially with the Thanksgiving holiday. Here is a list of the interviews we need. I put the sub-group next to them (if we decide to use the matrix I posted). I think it is important to poll friends, relatives and co-workers of possible matches so that we can begin to schedule interviews. We need to generate possible questions (likely a sub-group duty) before the calls in case they agree to an immedate interview.

1. Text author, Craig Johnson
3. Core committee and Deans (I emailed Scott to see who is on this list)
7. Person (or family member of) convicted of an ethics violation with time served
8. Fortune 1000 CEO (2)
8. Fortune 500 CEO(5)
10. Personal interviews for impact on ethics violations on families (multiple)
15. Paul V. Murphy
15. Another Jesuit on campus
20. Current or former House or Senate representative (doesn't say State or Federal)
21. Another "national level" politician or government official
23. Scholar on ethics or ethical decision making
25. TV personality
30. Possibly undergraduate interviews (multiple)
35. International students (10)
36. Parents
39. US Military Generals (or presumably Admirals) (1)
39. US Military Generals (or presumably Admirals) associated with JCU (2)
41. Rick Grenci
41. Frank Navratil

RoRaleigh

Back to top Go down

Post  lpeale15 Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:34 pm

RoRaleigh wrote:I had a discussion today with one of the previous cohort. He made it plain that he wouldn't offer any information that would compromise the ethics of the school. He did say that it is imperative that we start trying for the interviews as soon as possible. Most of the people we will need to interview will have limited availability especially with the Thanksgiving holiday. Here is a list of the interviews we need. I put the sub-group next to them (if we decide to use the matrix I posted). I think it is important to poll friends, relatives and co-workers of possible matches so that we can begin to schedule interviews. We need to generate possible questions (likely a sub-group duty) before the calls in case they agree to an immedate interview.

1. Text author, Craig Johnson
3. Core committee and Deans (I emailed Scott to see who is on this list)
7. Person (or family member of) convicted of an ethics violation with time served
8. Fortune 1000 CEO (2)
8. Fortune 500 CEO(5)
10. Personal interviews for impact on ethics violations on families (multiple)
15. Paul V. Murphy
15. Another Jesuit on campus
20. Current or former House or Senate representative (doesn't say State or Federal)
21. Another "national level" politician or government official
23. Scholar on ethics or ethical decision making
25. TV personality
30. Possibly undergraduate interviews (multiple)
35. International students (10)
36. Parents
39. US Military Generals (or presumably Admirals) (1)
39. US Military Generals (or presumably Admirals) associated with JCU (2)
41. Rick Grenci
41. Frank Navratil

========
I'll volunteer to conduct interview #20, I'm friends with a former Ohio Representative (D) ...
-LP

lpeale15

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty # 25

Post  tbowen14 Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 am

Number 25 - TV personality is very vague. I am close friends with Ivan Schwarz, the executive director of The Greater Cleveland Film Commission. He works between Cleveland and LA and was the co-director with Tom Hanks in Band of Brothers. He could probably get us an interview with someone interesting as far as TV personality (if I am understanding the term correctly?!). Let me know.

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Identifying Leaders Empty Possible Interviews

Post  tbowen14 Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 am

I know that I will be able to think of a few more people that we might be able to interview in the coming weeks but here is a short list of the people that I can think of that I know that might be able to help us out for interviews.

1. CSU President Ronald (Ron) M. Berkman - He has served as Chair of the Dean's Council for the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration as well as various committees of the Association of Public Policy and Management and has an impressive history of service awards and fellowships as well as foundation grants. He recently served as Co-Chair of the Miami-Dade Empowerment Zone Planning Committee, overseeing the preparation of a successful application for designation as a Federal Empowerment Zone. As a commentator on urban and public affairs, he has frequently appeared on CNN, and other major television and radio networks. Dr. Berkman has authored, co-authored or co-edited five books and numerous articles on municipal government, public policy, economic development, community development, crime and corrections policy.

2. Frank Mahnic Jr. - Former member of the Ohio House of Reprepresentatives and involved in the Benny Bonanno case but never indited
3. Congressional Aide Laurie Rokakis and/or Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich - Was a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States in the 2004 and 2008 presidential elections

4. Wayne Arny - US Department of Defense and CDR, USN; CAPT, USNR; SESwith US Navy, Principal Deputy Secretary of the Navy (Installations & Environment) in Department of US Navy, Acting Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Deputy Asst. Secretary of Defense (Senate Legislative Affairs) in the US Department of Defense,
Seapower Subcommittee, U.S. Senate Committee on Armed Services, and a pilot in the US Navy

The names underlined are ones that I am fairly confident can help us with an interview. I am going to sleep on it and try to think of some more people.

tbowen14

Back to top Go down

Post  RoRaleigh Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:17 am

I think I can get the CEO of my company. Ferro is a Fortune 1000 company and he is/was on the JCU board of directors.

I may be able to get the Sec. of the VA. He is a retired 4 star general and former Army Chief of Staff. I don't think he would work for the "military general" task since he is retired, but he would be a "current government official" with, presumably, a lot to say about ethics in the VA.

I have a co-worker that says that Mike Dibiasio from the Indians would be a good contact. He is the PR guy for the team and hosts a show on local TV (round table debate with former/current players). He might qualify as a TV personality, and I'm sure he'd have some comments about ethics in sports (Carmona, HGH, etc.), although less on media.

I don't have a problem calling major local corporation CEO offices to see about interviews, although some of them have employees in the class. Local Fortune 500 companies would include Eaton, Progressive, Sherwin-Williams, Cliffs, Key, Parker-Hanaffin, TravelCenters, Aleris in Cleveland; Timken, Goodyear, First Energy in Akron area; Smucker in Orrville.

Last edited by RoRaleigh on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

RoRaleigh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down